Applications are sought from young, independent scholars who combine the highest level of research excellence with a demonstrated passion for delivering impact.
The GYA is a global organization that places a high value on its diversity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates. All applicants receive consideration and will not be discriminated against with regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, creed, sex, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disabilities, or other factors. We especially encourage women and applicants from different minority groups, and from diverse disciplines including the natural, physical and social sciences as well as the arts and humanities and people working in government, industry, and non-governmental sectors to apply.
About Global Young Academy (GYA)
Global Young Academy was formed in 2010 as part of a global commitment that works to reduce the science gap between low, middle, and high-income countries by connecting young scientists with diverse backgrounds. GYA works to realize a vision, develop, connect, and mobilize young talent from six continents.
Global Young Academy members believe that scientists and researchers need to contribute more than their own research findings to society and give a voice to young scientists around the world. GYA members are selected for their scientific excellence and their commitment to service, and serve five-year terms.
Moreover, GYA empowers young researchers to lead an international, interdisciplinary, and inter-generational dialogue with the goal to make global decision-making evidence-based and inclusive. GYA provides a rallying point for outstanding young scientists from around the world to come together to address topics of global importance.
Requirements for Global Young Academy New Membership Call Contest
- Research fields: The call is open to all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the natural, physical and social sciences, as well as the arts and humanities.
- Excellence: Applicants must be able to demonstrate a high level of excellence in their discipline, ascertained by a proven track record and expected future achievements. Moreover, applicants must demonstrate a clear commitment to making a difference in society. PhD or equivalent is a requirement for applicants.
- Impact: The Global Young Academy is committed to a broad range of programmes around the world to support young scholars, promote science to a broad audience, engage in policy debate, and foster international and interdisciplinary collaboration. Applicants should provide evidence of interest or experience in one or more of these areas.
- Age/career point: Applicants should be in the early to middle years of their independent careers, i.e. approximately 7 years from PhD and aged 30-40. Applicants falling outside these ranges are still invited to send their applications with a justification for why they should be considered.
- Expectations: Each GYA member is expected to attend the GYA Annual General Meeting each year and is also expected to actively contribute to one or more of the organisation’s programmes, which include participation in policy development, promotion of National Young Academies, supporting science outreach and education at the national and international levels, and the young scientist ambassador programme. The GYA is an active organisation, and being a member requires a time commitment on each member’s part. In the event that applicants are selected as new GYA members, they should be available to attend the next Annual General Meeting, which is scheduled for 13 June – 17 June 2022 in Japan.
- Selection Criteria: All applicants are judged against 3 factors:
- ‘academic’ excellence, judged by: research record; publications and citations; career history; awards and prizes; and any other relevant information provided.
- ‘non-academic’ excellence, judged by: engagement with industry, business, government and the general public; successful commercialization or widespread adoption of research; starting a successful research-based company, and other relevant factors provided.
- commitment to ‘service’, as shown by: demonstrated support for young researchers at a national level; launching or holding a senior role in a national young academy; public communication of science or scholarship; and commitment to the goals of the GYA.
- It is not necessary for candidates to score at the highest level in all 3 categories, but strong applicants score well in either or both of categories (i) and (ii), and very highly in category (iii). By scoring applications against multiple criteria, we try to provide a balanced application process for candidates, whether they work in academic or non-academic sector
How to Apply for Global Young Academy New Membership Call Contest
To apply for the ongoing Global Young Academy New Membership Call Contest is not as difficult as you think. All Interested and qualified candidates are to click on the “Apply Now” button below to get started.
It is important to note that all Interested and qualified candidates are to apply for Global Young Academy New Membership Call Contest immediately after they see this post because there is no specified deadline.