Annually contestants are invited to share multi-image stories on any topic that they find interesting, and the judges look not only at the individual images but also at the overall story’s quality and relevance.
The Award was created to shine a spotlight on documentary photography that focuses on people and cultures from the perspective of East African citizens. The contest is restricted to citizens of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda, and Ethiopia, 18 years of age or older.
With the hope to promote and encourage the documentation of the fast-changing realities around us, and the cultural, socio-political, environmental, and technological issues that affect individuals and societies and the way we live.
Visura is a platform where artists can be true to their voices, Visura is a forum for creativity where members can connect with content producers, non-profit organizations, and brands worldwide searching for new work and talent.
Visura’s objective is to create a merit-based and equal opportunity platform to increase the quality and diversity of published content worldwide. Visura is a curated marketplace and site builder that connects image buyers, media publications, and organizations with professional, diverse visual storytellers, and journalists worldwide.
Visura’s main goal is to offer solutions that foster inclusivity, sustainability, and professional skill development in an enabling environment to elevate media literacy and to promote professional talent in media and journalism on the internet.
Requirements for East African Photography Award Contest
- The contest is restricted to citizens of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda and Ethiopia, 18 years of age or older.
- All entries must have been taken between August 1st 2019 and August 1st 2021, and must be submitted by August 1st 2021. This will be confirmed via EXIF data.
- Each entrant can submit up to 2 stories. For each story a minimum of 10, and a maximum of 20 photographs should be submitted.
- Entry is free.
- The jury will select 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Prizes will be awarded for each place .
- The jury reserves the right not to award any or all prizes. All decisions by the jury will be final .
- By entering the competition the photographer confirms that they are the original author of the image(s) and that they own the rights to all the images they enter into this competition, or if they are an employee of a media organization they have all necessary permissions from their organization .
- Winning entries with explicit permission from the photographer can be part of our annual exhibition.
- Employees of FOTEA/UPPA, Visura, the judging panel and any family members cannot enter the contest.
- Employees of Friedrich-Ebert-Foundation (FES), FOTEA/ Uganda Press Photo Award and the judging panel will not enter into dialogue with entrants.
- With the submission the photographer agrees to the Terms and Conditions.
How to Apply for East African Photography Award Contest
To apply for the ongoing East African Photography Award Contest is not as difficult as you think. All Interested and qualified candidates are to click on the “Apply Now” button below to get started.
It is important to note that all Interested and qualified candidates are to apply for the East African Photography Award Contest on or before August 1, 2021